Wet rot treatment Berkshire experts are asked this frequently by anxious people seeking professional help.
They are the two most common forms of fungal decay. Wet rot exists in areas with high levels of moisture, normally over 50% whilst dry rot only needs 20% moisture.
Severe weather, a plumbing issue or damaged drainage and guttering on a porous surface provides the ideal environment for wet rot to thrive.
Here’s a quick Latin lesson, if you hear these phrases then these are the official names for the wet/dry rot issues:
Wet rot: Coniophora puteana. This means cellar fungus.
Dry rot: Serpula lacrymans. This means creeping…making tears.
So now you know.
Signs of wet rot
- Brown/black fungus which can be in lumps or in a fern shape.
- Woodwork which is spongy and darkened in appearance indicates that wet rot is present.
- There will be a musty smell.
- If the wet rot has dried the timber it will crumble and crack without much effort.
- The paintwork on wood can also indicate a problem. If it’s flaking or can be easily damaged then you need to speak to a Reading timber treatment company and get some advice.
- Wet rot damage is usually contained within the moist area of timber.
- The fungus can embed itself in a number of spaces including on living trees. It favours conifers.
Signs of dry rot:
Wet rot treatment Berkshire specialists like Pest Control Berkshire in Newbury appreciate that can be difficult for people to tell the difference between wet and dry rot.
If you see:
- Mushroom shapes coming through plaster or paint.
- A creamy yellow appearance to the rot when viewed in daylight.
- And it is present in a ventilation shaft…
…This is more likely to be dry rot.
What happens when I call a wet rot treatment Berkshire expert?
The earlier the problem is detected and reported the greater the chance that severe damage can be averted.
A full survey will be carried out by wet rot treatment Reading/Berkshire company surveyors.
The inspections are thorough and a report with a treatment quotation will be provided for the client’s evaluation.
What does a Reading timber treatment company do during treatment?
Wet rot treatment is concerned with drying the area surrounding the wet rot and closing off the cause of the high level of moisture which allows wet rot to exist.
This work can mean that damaged timbers will need to be removed and replaced. For small issues it might just be necessary to remove the affected timber back to a sound level.
Wood hardener and preservative can then be applied to the surrounding area.
Ask as many questions as you wish.
Proficient wet rot treatment Reading firm team members should be happy to answer any queries.
Experts prefer clients to ask what they feel is a silly question and not to suffer future issues rather than remain silent and hope for the best.